[MPICH] Connection attempts fail with hosts using MPICH 1.2.5

Jason Michaels Mcgill jmcgill at wam.umd.edu
Wed Mar 1 15:23:47 CST 2006

Hello:

I realize that most now use MPICH2, but the 'List description' said that
MPICH 1.2x problems can still be discussed here.

I am using MPICH 1.2.5 for multi-block runs. I explicitly give the ip
addresses of the hosts that I use -and the number of threads they will
provide- in a configuration file (configfile.mpi).

The batch file created provides a '-logon' mpirun prompt, which requests
an account and user password. I make sure that MPIConfig.exe (located in
the bin directory of my MPICH folder) provides the hosts that I wish to
use, and I select them to make them available for a multi-process run.

I enter the account number and password in the batch file, which, if mpich
was working properly, would then inform me that my program is running, and
which processes the simulation is alive on. However, I get the following
message:

"easy_connect::WSAETIMEDOUT error, re-attempting easy_connect(the ip
address)"

Once the re-attempt has failed, this message appears:

"Error: ConnectToMPD(ip address:8675): easy_connect failed: error 10060, A
connectio attempt failed because the connected party did not properly
respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because
connected host has failed to respond.

MPIRunLaunchProcess: Connect to (ip address) failed, error 10060"

This error occurs for each remote process I wish to use as a host. I have
consulted the MPICH user guide, and I have seen nothing detailing an error
10060.

The last thing I should say is that the runs I attempted to perform were
using Windows XP and Windows 2000 OS machines.

This probably seems very vague, but this is truly as detailed as I can
make it, because the error seems to be ambiguous. But I appreciate any
help that anyone can provide.

Thank you,

-Jason McGill