[MPICH] MPICH2 on campus network, problems with DHCP?

Nathan Moore nmoore at winona.edu
Thu Jul 27 00:26:47 CDT 2006

Hello,

I've downloaded and compiled MPICH2 on a small cluster of PowerPC's
running linux (YDL 4.1).  While I've been able to get mpd to run on a
single node, communication within the ring fails.  The error I've
seen with mpdcheck follows,

[root at muscovey ~]# mpdcheck -l

     **********
     Your fully qualified hostname seems to be set to 'localhost'.
     This generally means that your machine's /etc/hosts file
contains a line
     similar to this:
127.0.0.1 mybox1 localhost.localdomain localhost
     You probably want to remove your hostname from this line and
place it on
     a line by itself with your ipaddress, like this:
$ipaddr mybox1
     **********

     **********
     Your unqualified hostname resolves to 127.0.0.1, which is
     the IP address reserved for localhost. This likely means that
     you have a line similar to this one in your /etc/hosts file:
     127.0.0.1   $uqhn
     This should perhaps be changed to the following:
     127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost

On my campus network, IP addresses are assigned by DHCP.  To my
knowledge, this precludes the sort of "normal" /etc/hosts file like
the following,

[root at muscovey ~]# cat /etc/hosts.novel
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
199.17.152.135          muscovey.workstations.winona.edu muscovey

where 199.17.152.135 is found through ifconfig -a, and accordingly, I
seem to be stuck with an /etc/hosts like,

[root at muscovey ~]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               muscovey localhost.localdomain localhost

Is there a workaround that allows only hostnames to be specified?

Nathan Moore
Physics
Winona State University
AIM:nmoorewsu