[MPICH] mpiexec crash using MPICH_PORT_RANGE

Ralph Butler rbutler at mtsu.edu
Fri Jul 14 21:37:32 CDT 2006

Hi Michele:

The port range is a relatively new concept and we have not spent
much time looking into these kinds of minumums.  However, for starters,
I think you can probably estimate a minimum of 6 ports per process
running on any given host just for the mpd, manager, etc running
there.  This does not include the set of ports tied up by the MPI
code invoked by application processes.

So, if you are running a job that causes 2 processes to land on a
single host, you probably want the range to be at least 12 wide
even for non-mpi programs, and perhaps more for mpi pgms.  Some
experimentation can help to pin it down a bit more for specific apps.