[MPICH] Communication problem on a small heterogeneous ring involving Red Hat Linux - Enterprise Edition

Salvatore Sorce sorce at unipa.it
Fri Dec 1 03:18:41 CST 2006

Thank you all for your prompt replies.

I carried out some other trial including in the ring another double-Xeon machine running Scientific Linux CERN release 3.0.6 (kernel 2.4.21-37.EL). This does not introduce other communication errors. Whatever ring which does not include the Red Hat Enterprise machine does not generate communication errors.
All machines have the same byte ordering (little-endian).
I compared the "config.log" files of all involved systems, and I found that the RH Enterprise machine has a different size for <long> and <long double> types. In more detail, other machines have a size of 4 and 12 respectively, while the RH Enteprise has 8 and 16. Maybe this is the reason I experience the mentioned problems.
To complete the report, I obtain the same error messages even if I use types of the same size (such as MPI_INTEGER).

Do you know if there is a solution, or simply do I have to exclude the RH Enterprise machine from my cluster (or, maybe, install another OS on that machine)?

Thank you again.

Regards,
Salvatore.