[MPICH] Cannot determine Fortran naming scheme?

David Gunter dog at lanl.gov
Thu Apr 20 08:17:49 CDT 2006

One problem may be the way you define your compilers.  From the
MPICH2 manual:

"The arguments to configure are different in MPICH1 and MPICH2; the
Installer’s Guide discusses configure. In particular, the newer
configure
in MPICH2 does not support the -cc=<compiler-name> (or -fc, -c++, or
-f90) options. Instead, many of the items that could be specified in the
command line to configure in MPICH1 must now be set by defining an
environment variable. E.g., while MPICH1 allowed

        ./configure -cc=pgcc

MPICH2 requires

        setenv CC pgcc

(or export CC=pgcc for ksh or CC=pgcc ; export CC for strict sh) before
./configure. Basically, every option to the MPICH-1 configure that does
not start with --enable or --with is not available as a configure
option in
MPICH2. Instead, environment variables must be used. This is consistent
(and required) for use of version 2 GNU autoconf. "

Try using environment variables before running configure.  I've been
testing MPICH2 under FC3 and haven't seen the errors you are
getting...yet. ;-)

-david
--
David Gunter
CCN-8: HPC Environments: Parallel Tools Team