[MPICH] MPICH2 on Windows XP Workgroups and Samba networks

Calin Iaru calin at dolphinics.no
Tue Apr 4 03:46:33 CDT 2006

Hi all,

    I have installed the latest bits on a Windows XP cluster and ran a
few tests over MPICH2. If the test is located on a mapped drive, the
smpd service cannot start it. I noticed that the test can run if its
placed on localhost and started with mpiexec -hosts 2 node1 node2
\\node1\c$\cpi.exe, but it will fail for n > 10.The limit is actually
imposed by Windows XP which can handle no more than 10 remote
connections. The account that I am running the test is member of the
Administrators Group and is part of Log on as a service policy.

    Is there a way to run the test on a workgroup, when the test is
located on a computer outside the workgroup?

Best regards,
    Calin