[MPICH] Newbee having pblms installing on sun

Karl Schleicher karl at appliedgeo.com
Tue Sep 27 09:27:39 CDT 2005

I'm trying to install mpi on a cluster of Sun enterprise systems.  I
want to use several of our compute servers to solve one problem.  I have
tried to do a little homework before asking for help, but now I'm
stuck.  I would appreciate help getting past these problem.

The steps I followed are:
    ftp release to my computer
    gunzip -c mpich2-1.0.2p1.tar.gz | tar -xovf -
    cd mpich2-1.0.2p1
    ./configure |& tee configure.log

Configure fails  with the log:

Configuring MPICH2 version 1.0.2
sourcing /home/karl/mpi/mpich2-1.0.2p1/src/pm/mpd/setup_pm
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... cc
cat: cannot open confdefs.h
checking for C compiler default output file name... Can't open conftest.c
See `config.log' for more details.

I enterred "uname -a" to get:
SunOS m00 5.6 Generic_105181-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Some of the things I have tried are:
    - building on a Linux PC.  Successful.
    - building mpich-1.2.7. It hangs looking "checking for c++"
    - building mpich2 on another Sun system with different os.  It hangs
after:
        "checking for g77... g77"
    - The programmers and system administrators at my small company are
unable to
          to help.

I have additional information that I will provide if this is insufficient.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Karl Schleicher
Applied Geophysical Services