[MPICH] about C++

James Frye frye at cs.unr.edu
Tue Oct 18 21:25:16 CDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 llwaeva at 21cn.com wrote:

>   Does anyone use c++ in parallel computing? I am working with a big
> project in which the main program is written in C. I am going to rewrite
> the program in c++, however, the program is too big...

I've had exactly the opposite experience: I inherited a complex parallel
simulation program that was written in C++, and which was too slow and
used too much memory to do the simulations the users wanted in a practical
amount of time. I managed to increase the speed by more than an order of
magnitude, and reduced the memory footprint similarly, mostly by
re-writing large parts of it in plain old C.

My experience, for what it's worth, is that your time would be more
productively spent in optimizing the C code you have, rather than figuring
out how to translate it to a different language and way of thinking.

James