[MPICH] How to get the rank of a known process by name on other nodes

Ali Eghlima Ali_Eghlima at raytheon.com
Wed Nov 30 16:13:22 CST 2005

Hello,

I am a new user of MPICH2, I  am looking to find out best way to get rank
of a known process by name on other nodes.
I don't want to enforce serialize start up through config file or other
ways to get known rank for every processes in the system.
With my limited knowledge on MPI-2, I guess I have two choices.:

 1  -  Every process after initialization, get its own rank and send a
message to all with it's rank and its predefined process name.

 2 - Could, a process use the Mpi_Publish_Name(), to associate its name
with its rank, like a distributed name server. Then, other process could
       useMpi_Lookup_name() to get the rank.  I know that
Mpi_Publish_Name() requires a name with a port number, and if a port
number is not an open
       port the behavior depends on implementation. How MPIVH2 react to
this case.

Is there any other way to get the rank.

Thanks

Ali,