[MPICH] debug and profiling tools

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 24 02:03:19 CST 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Thomas Bennett wrote:

> I'm wanting to go the open source route w.r.t. debuggers and profilers
> and other tools for testing parallel code.
>
> I really like the way the gdb has been integrated into MPICH2, and
> jumpshot is also great...
>
> But, are there maybe any other nifty tools that you can recommend using?
> Is there a list out there somewhere?

For profiling tool, besides MPE, there is TAU from Univ of Oregon.
Jumpshot is one of the viewers that can be used to view TAU trace.

Besides what is provided by MPICH2, ddd( which uses gdb ) can also be used
to debug MPICH2 program.  e.g. mpiexec -n 2 ddd <your_mpi_executable>.
Also, there is commercial debugging tools, e.g. totalview.

A.Chan