[MPICH] Limitations of MPI I/O (romio) on ntfs

James S Perrin james.s.perrin at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jun 27 08:24:12 CDT 2005

Hi,
	I'm using mpich2 (previously mpich 1.2.5) on windows with ntfs, just one of a
number of platforms my applications needs to support.

	There is very little documentation on what are the limitations using ntfs and
what I found are through trial and error. I just want to confirm what I've found
or learn if there are solutions.

1. Only one process can access a file for reading. This is an annoying problem
as we/users have dual cpu machines. I can understand writing being restricted to
a single process by not reading. Is there some hint that I should be using?

2. This seems like a bug, if my file is set to read_only and even though I'm
opening it using MPI_MODE_RDONLY the file fails to open.

3. If I share a folder across a cluster (and use mpichs shared folder to drive
mapping) should I be able to read a file on multiple nodes (and multiple
processes per node if 1. has a solution)?

Regards
James

PS Since the list server told me that the romio-users is non-existent I guess
this is where I should post on the subject.

James S. Perrin,                   | email: james.perrin at manchester.ac.uk
Manchester Visualization Centre,   | www.sve.man.ac.uk/General/Staff/perrin
Kilburn Building, The University,  | tel: +44 161 275 6945
Manchester, England. M13 9PL.      | fax: +44 161 275 6800/6040