[MPICH] tricks for avioding locking problems

Rajeev Thakur thakur at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 21 16:51:41 CDT 2005

Which file system you use matters because different file systems have
different consistency semantics, and we accordingly have to compensate for
it in order to provide complete MPI-IO functionality. If you are using NFS,
you pretty much need locks to work unless you are only doing reads from the
file. On a true POSIX file system, you need locks to implement shared file
pointer, the atomic mode, and the data sieving optimization for
noncontiguous writes (which can be disabled with an info hint). We have come
up with a way to avoid locks on a POSIX file system by implementing the
equivalent of locks with MPI one-sided communication, and have 3 papers on
it, but it is not in the ROMIO release yet. (Locks will still be needed on
NFS to disable client-side caching.)

Rajeev

  _____