[MPICH] Re: [MPICH2-dev] Re: New version of MPICH2 (1.0.2)

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 14 20:26:49 CDT 2005

At 07:51 PM 6/14/2005, Peter Lichtner wrote:
>Greetings: I was able to compile the new version of MPICH on MacOSX
>Tiger which is great!
>However, I noticed in the readme file that:
>

>     -  A Fortran-90 compiler if you configure with --enable-f90 .  Only
>        MPI-2 "basic" support is provided at this time (no F90 module).

Whoops!  I missed this when I was reviewing the README.  The statement
should have been

     If a Fortran 90 compiler is found, by default MPICH2 will attempt to
build a basic MPI module.  This module contains the
     MPI routines that do not contain "choice" arguments; i.e., the module
does not contain any of the communication routines, such
     as MPI_Send, that can take arguments of different type.  You may still
use those routines, however, the MPI module does not
     contain interface specifications for them. If you have trouble with
the configuration step and do not need Fortran 90, configure with
     --disable-f90 .

>Does this mean that I can not use modules in my source code? I am
>using MPICH with PETSc and the code is Fortran-90 using the Absoft
>9.0 Fortran compiler and it is structured to use modules. I believe
>there is a later version of Absoft for Tiger. But I am wondering if
>this code will run with MPICH2 even if I update the Absoft compiler?
>Thanks, ...Peter

We haven't tested with the Absoft compiler since we don't have a copy.  If
you have problems, please send them to mpich2-maint at mcs.anl.gov .

Bill
>On Jun 10, 2005, at 6:42 PM, Rajeev Thakur wrote:
>
>>A new version of MPICH2, 1.0.2, has been released. You can download
>>it from
>>www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich2. We recommend you upgrade to this
>>version if you
>>are running an older version of MPICH2 or MPICH-1. New features in
>>this
>>release include:
>>
>>* better portability (particularly for Mac OS/X and AIX)
>>* fixes to shared library builds with gcc
>>* fixes to problems with Fortran 90 compilers
>>* performance improvements with subarray and darray datatypes in
>>MPI-IO
>>* MPI-2 RMA optimizations for the sshm channel
>>* Improvements to the MPD process manager
>>* Various updates and improvements to ROMIO
>>* Improvements to MPE toolkit
>>* Miscellaneous bug fixes
>>
>>Further details are in the CHANGES file in the distribution.
>>
>>For those interested in details of the code changes, the CVS log
>>summaries
>>are available at http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich2/ mpich2_1_0_2changes.htm
>>
>>Regards,
>>The MPICH2 Team