[MPICH] Difference between mpich2 logging and MPE logging

Anthony Chan chan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jul 17 00:50:20 CDT 2005

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Suman Kansakar wrote:

> What is the difference between MPICH2 logging (rlog) and the MPE
> logging?

MPICH2 logging, rlog, is for MPICH2 implementation only and shows the
the MPICH2 internal calls for each MPI functions.  MPE logging, clog2, can
be used with all MPI implementations and does not show the details of each
MPI call.  MPE logging has an API which allows MPI user to log user
functions.

> It seems that when MPICH2 is compiled with options for MPICH2
> logging, the MPE logging gets disabled.

I haven't tried this myself.  But I think you can use MPE logging with
MPICH2 logging at the same time.  It generates both clog2 and rlog
files.

> I am trying to find the port numbers through which message passing is
> happening between processes in each of the nodes (especially when
> MPI_ALLREDUCE is being called) - is there a way to find this out
> through MPE logging/tracing or MPICH2 logging?

I am not sure either will tell you the port number.

A.Chan