[MPICH] MPLMD (Multiple Programming Languages Multiple Data)

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Dec 17 03:28:57 CST 2005

Hello,

first of all sorry if the question sounds stupid to you, or if this is not the right place to ask. I am pretty new to MPI in general, and could not find a more specific discussion board ...

The Multiple Programs Multiple Data (MPMD) paradigm is pretty well documented for MPICH. However, I am trying to let multiple programs, written in different programming languages (Java and Python), to communicate. I tried to achieve that with two MPI wrapper libraries, namely mpiJava and pypar.

However, I failed: When combining small Python and Java demo programs in one MPICH procgroup file, the Java programs seem to hang up in the MPI initialization call.

It might be that this problem is specific to the mpiJava wrapper implementation. However, I am a bit astonished that the whole idea of combining MPI programs from different programming languages is hardly ever explained in the literature. Have you had experience with such a setting? And can you recommend me a specific Java wrapper implementation that is known to communicate nicely with other wrapper implementations?

Regards,

Kai Koehne
Hasso-Plattner-Instute
University of Potsdam