[MPICH] problem running mpiexec in cron

David Fitzgerald David.Fitzgerald at millersville.edu
Fri Dec 9 15:19:38 CST 2005

Hello everyone,

Forgive me if my problem is listed in a FAQ somewhere, or has an obvious
fix, but I can't figure this out.

I am running MPICH2 on a Fedora Core 4 cluster.  I use a Perl script to
run the WRF computer model with mpiexec.  The Perl script and subsequent
WRF model runs fine from the command line, but when run from cron the
mpiexec commands fail with this error:

 Lanmodes Failed!
Check if you had booted lam before calling mpiexec else use -machinefile
to pass hostfile to mpiexec.

The thing is, my nodes are all up, mpdtrace shows all the nodes
correctly.  My environment variables are set in the perl script, but I
can't figure out what I may be missing for mpiexec to bomb out in the
cron.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Dave

+++++++++++++++++++++++
David Fitzgerald
Department of Earth Sciences
Millersville University
Millersville Pa 17551

Phone: 717-871-2394

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less
than half of you half as well as you deserve.
J. R. R. Tolkien
<http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/J._R._R._Tolkien/> , The
Fellowship of the Ring