[MPICH] LoadLibrary("mpich2d.dll") fails, how can I link statically on Windows?

Robin Boerdijk robin_boerdijk at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 02:21:16 CDT 2005

Hi David,

> 1) This is a problem with the MPI wrapper dll.  We've fixed this and
> it will
> be available in the next release.  The changes are all in one file,
> mpich2/src/util/multichannel/mpi.c.  You can grab the new version
> from CVS
> if you want to recompile the source.
> http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich2/cvsweb.cgi

I recompiled MPICH2 with the latest mpi.c, but now my MPI program fails
to start with the following message displayed by Windows: "First-chance
exception at 0x1002885f (mpich2mpid.dll) in MyMPIProgram.exe:
0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000000.".

When I run my MPI program in the debugger it breaks at the following
line in mpi.c:

int MPI_Init( int *argc, char ***argv )
{
    int result;
    MPICH_CHECK_INIT(FCNAME);
    result = fn.MPI_Init(argc, argv);
    *fn.MPI_F_STATUS_IGNORE = MPI_F_STATUS_IGNORE; // <- crash
    *fn.MPI_F_STATUSES_IGNORE = MPI_F_STATUSES_IGNORE;
    return result;
}

Apparently, the

    fn.MPI_F_STATUS_IGNORE = (MPI_Fint**)GetProcAddress(hPMPIModule,
"MPI_F_STATUS_IGNORE");

statement in LoadFunctions() has set fn.MPI_F_STATUS_IGNORE to NULL.

Do I need to update some more files to make it work?

Best regards,

Robin Boerdijk