[MPICH] cross-compile/configure query

John Williams jwilliams at itee.uq.edu.au
Mon Aug 15 05:11:36 CDT 2005

Hello,

I am attempting to cross compile MPICH2 for an embedded Linux
architecture (MicroBlaze), using a VPATH make/configure.  The build
system is an Intel Linux box running CentOS 3 updated to the latest.

My own toplevel Makefile sets CC, AR etc correctly, and launches
MPICH2's configure as follows:

$ mkdir build; cd build; ../configure --host=microblaze

The configure goes well until it gets to the simple PMI, where it bombs
out as follows:

RUNNING CONFIGURE FOR THE SIMPLE PMI
checking for make... make
checking whether clock skew breaks make... no
checking whether make supports include... no
checking whether make allows comments in actions... no
configure: WARNING: Your make does not allow comments in target code.
Using this make may cause problems when building programs.
You should consider using gnumake instead.
checking for virtual path format... VPATH

[snip]

checking for library containing socket... none required
checking for library containing gethostbyname... no
checking for socket... yes
checking for setsockopt... yes
checking for gethostbyname... no
configure: error: Cannot build simple PMI with support for an IP port
because of missing functions
configure: error: Configure of src/pmi/simple failed!

My target does have gethostbyname - it's embedded Linux with uClibc -
but the cross-configure isn't picking it up.  Before I go deciphering
the configure script, is there a general principle that it is using to
detect these capabilities in the cross-compile situation?  Can I e.g.
specify my cross-uClibc include path, so configure can grep through the
headers, or similar?

Alternatively, is there an equivalent of the CROSS_SIZEOF_XXXX variables
that I can set to get past this?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

John