[MPICH] MPICH2 on WinXP-Pro cluster

PETER RAETH PeterRaeth at email.uophx.edu
Mon Aug 8 21:36:07 CDT 2005

Many thanks to David for his advice. Following the line of thought he put me
on I've been able to get things to work. The problem was that, while the
account names were the same, WinXP-Pro did not have that same name
throughout its system on the worker node (raethserver). In some places, it
had a different name. Not sure how that happened since the account manager
on raethserver showed the correct name. What finally fixed things was to
delete the account altogether and then re-establish the account. It was not
necessary to use a hosts or lmhosts file. Nor was it necessary to set up a
domain server since no domain specification was needed.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\PROGRA~1\MPICH2\bin>cpi.bat

C:\PROGRA~1\MPICH2\bin>mpiexec -pwdfile Options.txt -exitcodes -hosts 2
familycomputer raethserver cpi

Enter the number of intervals: (0 quits) 50000
pi is approximately 3.1415926536231167, Error is 0.0000000000333236
wall clock time = 0.004374
Enter the number of intervals: (0 quits) 0
rank: node: exit code
0: familycomputer: 0
1: raethserver: 0

C:\PROGRA~1\MPICH2\bin>