[Mochi-devel] Mochi's new key/value storage service

Dorier, Matthieu mdorier at anl.gov
Fri Oct 15 10:07:55 CDT 2021

Dear Mochi users,

For the past few months we have been working on a new key/value storage service for Mochi, called Yokan.
Its first version is now out and available via spack (using the usual mochi-spack-packages repo).

Yokan: https://github.com/mochi-hpc/mochi-yokan
Documentation: https://mochi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/yokan.html

Yokan aims to provide state-of-the-art key/value storage capabilities on top of Margo, following the best practices of the Mochi methodology. It provides many backends, including BerkeleyDB, GDBM, LevelDB, LMDB, RocksDB, TKRZW, Unqlite, and a number of in-memory key/value stores. It was designed to be highly configurable and highly flexible, making it easy to configure databases using JSON, and to provide your own database implementation if the ones we offer don’t satisfy you. Yokan also provides C++ and Python APIs in addition to the usual C API.

If you are in search for a Mochi-based key/value storage service, or if you have been implementing your own but would prefer to switch to something that we provide and maintain, I encourage you to take a look.

Note: Mochi actually had a key/value storage service called SDSKV from very early on, but it was never truly productized and advertised. If you have been using SDSKV, we highly recommend that you switch to using Yokan, as SDSKV will be deprecated in the future. The Yokan API is similar to that of SDSKV, though function names and parameters differ.

Best,
Matthieu Dorier