[Mochi-devel] important margo update re: Argobots stack size

Carns, Philip H. carns at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 22 11:16:39 CST 2019

Hi all,

We just updated margo (origin/master, tag v0.4.3, or spack margo at 0.4.3) to have it automatically increase the Argobots stack size.  I would strongly encourage you to update if you are using Margo or any libraries built atop it.

The underlying problem is that Argobots has a very small default stack size for newly created ULTs.  Libraries like Margo (that might make deep call paths into things like Mercury and libfabric) can overflow this value, in which case you might run into some very difficult to diagnose memory corruption problems.  We encountered this on two different platforms recently with two very different symptoms.

You can see the exact tunable options we are setting for Argobots here if you are curious.  The first is something we've been setting for a while already, the second is new.  Both have links to more in depth explanation.

https://xgitlab.cels.anl.gov/sds/margo/blob/master/src/margo.c#L180

We are still working through some options and may tweak this further, but we wanted to go ahead and get a reasonable interim fix out quickly.

thanks,
-Phil