[MOAB-dev] MPI issue (possibly a link issue) with h5m mesh files

Lorenzo Botti ihabiamx at yahoo.it
Tue Jun 6 04:46:52 CDT 2017

Dear all,
I’m stuck with this problem since some time and I like to know if someone has a solution, or just a hint of what is going wrong.

If I compile MOAB with HDF5 support I’m forced to use an outdated version of the latter (hdf5 1.8.12 works just fine) because a newer version (I tried both 1.8.18 and 1.10.1) produces the following runtime error

*** The MPI_Comm_dup() function was called before MPI_INIT was invoked.
*** This is disallowed by the MPI standard.
*** Your MPI job will now abort.
[dlm249-158.unibg.it:1072] Local abort before MPI_INIT completed completed successfully, but am not able to aggregate error messages, and not able to guarantee that all other processes were killed!

This happens when the MOAB function load_file(filename.h5m,...) gets called from my application.
All the MOAB tests run just fine, in particular the parallel tests involving hdf5 are successful.
I guess that’s a linking issue but I really don’t know how to solve it.

My makefile is really basic

I do
MOAB_LIB_DIR = /Users/digihabia/src2/moab-4.9.2/moab/
include $(MOAB_LIB_DIR)/lib/moab.make
…

I compile my library spafedte with

%.o : %.cpp