[MOAB-dev] periodic boundaries

Vijay S. Mahadevan vijay.m at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 11:55:27 CST 2016

Alex, I don't think we have the necessary semantics to express
periodic boundaries natively on an unstructured mesh in MOAB. Partly
because, no one asked for it.

So couple of questions for you.

1) Serial or parallel runs ?
a) Serial is relatively much simpler and you can get away with MOAB
implementation as it stands.
b) Parallel complicates this since the elements on either side of a
periodic boundary will be on different partitions and we need to
modify shared entity resolution to let it know which process to send
messages.

2) Boundary description: nodes vs surfaces (edges)
a) In serial, it could be as simple as matching nodes with the same
tag value or say Y-coordinate during your setup phase and using that
information later during computation
b) In parallel, again, you need to rely on resolve_shared_ents to work
correctly so that things work out of the box.

3) Do you need adjacency queries ?

4) In parallel, do you expect ghost layers on the periodic boundary ?

Depending on what your use case is, this could be done in a variety of
ways. Let us know.

Vijay