[MOAB-dev] MOAB insights?

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:53:59 CDT 2015

> What stk format? this one?

Yup, STK as in Sierra ToolKit. I've been using it for a long time now but
honestly it's been giving my lots of troubles. For one, the source code
isn't really out in the open (although distributed one-way via Trilinos).

> Our best supported format (native moab format) is based on HDF5.

Ah, I only read "based on". This probably means that you use the HDF5 data
model, but nothing that's a standard like XDMF or so. Using a custom MOAB
data type is a big no-no for me since I rely on several other tools in my
workflow. I need standards.

VTK would be an options, but I interpret the MOAB source code correctly,
you only support the legacy VTK format, not the XML-based one (VTU and
friends). Right?

> What format do you have for your mesh/data ?

I'm quite flexible between Exodus and VTK.

> MOAB HDF5 reader / writer supports parallel IO natively, in the sense
> every rank is responsible for a portion (part of a partition) of the
mesh.

That's the way it should be. Again, no support for standard data formats
here; parallel Exodus, parallel VTK?

> If you have cell data, you can build easily in MOAB a list of adjacent
> faces or edges.

I do have cell data. Building edges and faces via STK unfortunately takes
really really long, almost prohibitively long. That's one of the reasons
why I'm looking in other directions. What's your experience in MOAB there?

Cheers,
Nico

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:13 PM Grindeanu, Iulian R. <iulian at mcs.anl.gov>