[MOAB-dev] mbconvert from abaqus to h5m

Jacob Hochhalter Jacob.D.Hochhalter at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 27 09:29:26 CDT 2015

Hi Paul,

Ok, thanks.  It is no problem for me to add the *PARTS and *INSTANCE
construct to the inp files from now on.

For me, the more important thing is to support common 3D element types.
After looking through ReadABAQUS.cpp I see that there are five 3D
element types supported:  "DC3D8", "DCC3D8", "C3D8R", "C3D4", and
"DC3D4".  However, "DC3D8", "DCC3D8", and "C3D8R" are all the same
element topology, 8-noded hexahedra (all set to MBHEX), and "C3D4" and
"DC3D4" are both 4-noded tetrahedra (all set to MBTET).  "C3D8" is the
abaqus default for an 8-noded hexahedron, and it could be supported by
replicating what is already done for the other varieties of 8-noded
hexahedra.

I saw that the patran and exodus converters have a good layout for
supporting more element types.  Could that layout be used for abaqus, in
which case we would just need to define the element connectivity mapping
from abaqus-to-moab (as is done in exodus_order.h and patran_order.h)?
If so, I can provide those mappings for the abaqus connectivities.

Iulian, in response to your previous message, yes, I will be reading the
converted files into a finite element code which uses moab as it's input
format for the mesh.

Thanks,
- Jake