[MOAB-dev] MOAB Version info

Patrick Shriwise shriwise at wisc.edu
Mon Jan 12 10:28:43 CST 2015

Hi all,

We were just talking about being able to track which versions of MOAB
were used to create a file. It appears that the MOAB version, date, and
time are all written to .h5m files, but they are not very well exposed
within the code.

We were also wondering about tagging other critical pieces of
information (such as geometry engine versions/types) and at what level
they should be accessible in the file structure.

In the end, we would like to be able to do comparisons of MOAB/CGM
versions upon loading a file in order to warn the user that the versions
differ and may not be compatible, resulting in failure or unexpected
behavior.

Additionally, it was mentioned that commit hashes and/or branches might
also be desired for reproducibility of results.

This may be a pre-existing discussion, as there are already functions in
place for this, but it seems that in certain areas they aren't complete
and that somewhere along the line this capability was forgotten or
abandoned.

--
Patrick C. Shriwise
Research Assistant