[MOAB-dev] FW: Conventions for naming entity sets

Grindeanu, Iulian R. iulian at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 16 11:27:21 CDT 2014

From: moab-dev-bounces at mcs.anl.gov [moab-dev-bounces at mcs.anl.gov] on behalf of Gerd Heber [gheber at hdfgroup.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:42 AM
To: moab-dev at mcs.anl.gov
Subject: [MOAB-dev] Conventions for naming entity sets

It appears that the simplest way to name an entity set is
to create a tag with that name and a dummy tag value.
(I'm not thinking about large numbers of entity sets, I might have a few dozen.)

1. Am I missing something that's more straightforward?

2. Are there conventions regarding the tag type (sparse, dense)
   or tag value type (bit, integer)?

Thanks for your comments.
G.

Yes, that is the best way; you can use then
get_entities_by_type_and_tag
http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/fathom/moab-docs/classmoab_1_1Interface.html#aa55df3b82d337601149fdd20e93cc86f

 to retrieve the sets in one sweep, in case you do not cache them in your code. If you use  tag values, you can filter by tag value, too; if not, it will retrieve all sets with that tag. Integer tags, sparse are best for this.
look at the examples, too

Iulian