[MOAB-dev] latest spectral mesh document

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 2 10:15:47 CDT 2012

Hi all,
   Here's the latest version of the document.  I repeat here the conclusion, which describes what I'm planning to do in
MOAB's representation:

In brief, we propose to represent elements using the linear, FE-ordered connectivity list (containing only corner
vertices from the spectral element), with field variables written to either vertices, lexicographically-ordered arrays
on elements, or both, and with a lexicographically-ordered array of all (corner+higher-order) vertices stored on
elements.  In the either/or case, the choice will be evident from the tag size and the entities on which the tag is set.
  In the both case, the tag name will have a “-LEX” suffix for the element tags, and the size of the element tag will be
(N+1)^2 times that of the vertex-based tag.  Finally, the file set containing the spectral elements (or the root set, if
no file set was input to the read) will contain a “SPECTRAL_ORDER” tag whose value is N.

Comments welcome.

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.