[MOAB-dev] Hex face to quad detection.

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 18 15:50:37 CDT 2012

First, because I know what you're working on, I should mention: if you have geometry sets in your data, in some cases
it's easier to browse through the volume sets (those with GEOM_DIMENSION=3) and get the sets of bounding face sets;
those will be children of the volume sets, and will contain the quads on those (geometric) faces.

Now on to your real question:

On 10/18/2012 03:34 PM, Robert Maynard wrote:
> I am currently working on relating a collection of hex's to a
> collection of quads. I can determine that a hex is adjacent to quad
> and than confirm that the hex has all the quads points in common which
> means it should be a face ( I know the hex are created from the quads
> ).
>
> My question is there currently a function to determine which face of
> the hex a quad relates too? do I need to get the connectivity of the
> hex and quad and manually inspect those?

MOAB has a canonical numbering class that does this sort of thing, and also functions in the API that work for specific
entities.  Interface::side_number is the one you want to use; this takes the entity/facet handles and returns side #,
sense, and offset.  The CN class functions do the same thing, but take connectivity lists or indices as arguments.

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.