[MOAB-dev] Backporting to version 4.5

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 10 14:50:44 CDT 2012

I don't think our team is bit enough, nor active enough in MOAB dev't, to justify going to git or hg.

I also think that we're still mostly using trunk, and even if that changes, it's likely that our primary dev't activity
will still be trunk.  I don't see all of our bug fixes being backported, just the important ones (and have no problem
with me being the one to decide, and also no problem with others deciding to backport a given fix if they think it's
important).

- tim

On 04/10/2012 01:19 PM, James Porter wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 11:07 -0500, Jed Brown wrote:
>> +1 for switching to git or hg, but you still put those patches in the
>> release, then (as often as you like) merge from release to trunk. Tags
>> are on a specific SHA1 so they never move (but you don't want them
>> to).
>
> Generally, I go the other way (fix everything on trunk, backport
> selectively to release branches), but that assumes you have a dedicated
> group of people running trunk builds.
>
> I think for us, the strategy we take should depend on how many people
> use trunk versus how many people use the latest revision of a release
> branch. I'd guess we have more of the former, so fixing things on trunk
> first would probably get wider testing.
>
> Of course, this does make the merging process more complicated, since
> you'd have to cherrypick changesets to backport. On the other hand, if
> we make sure that patches are in both branches at all times (good for
> testing), the exact order of commits wouldn't really matter, since you'd
> only be merging a single changeset at a time.
>
> - Jim

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.