[MOAB-dev] question about moab sets

Iulian Grindeanu iulian at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 1 13:51:48 CST 2011

Hello,
I have some misunderstandings about moab sets.

If an entity A is part of a set B, and the entity A is deleted, the set still has it.
Unless when you create the set, the option contains MESHSET_TRACK_OWNER flag.
In that case, the set is "informed" about deletion, and it removes the entity.

This is fine, it is understandable that you need to track it somehow, otherwise it would be hard to delete it from every set defined.

My question is about the root set.
The options for the root set are tested in MBTest:
  unsigned flags;
  rval = mb->get_meshset_options( rs, flags );
  CHECK( flags & MESHSET_SET );
  CHECK( !(flags & MESHSET_ORDERED) );
  CHECK( !(flags & MESHSET_TRACK_OWNER) );

Which means the root set is not tracked; but when an entity is deleted, it is really deleted from root set ( I mean, get_entities from root set does not retrieve the deleted entity)

I like that, but I think the manual should have a note if that is indeed the behavior. Or is my understanding wrong?

Any comments?

Iulian