[MOAB-dev] Performance regressions in MOAB

James Porter jvporter at wisc.edu
Sat Feb 19 23:20:27 CST 2011

This is a bit long after the fact, but I noticed when running PyTAPS tests locally that the iMesh checks were taking an awfully long time. I looked through the buildbot history and it looks like the biggest performance loss happened on the Jan 27 nightly, which makes me think that r4473 <http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/ITAPS/changeset/4473> is culprit. I'm sure that the extremely small-scale tests I'm doing inflate the performance regression, but the tests originally took 1-2 seconds, and are now up to 70-80 seconds on the buildbot. This may also be why I currently can't run "make check" on MOAB locally because it will eat up all available memory and start thrashing. I'm not sure if this is actually an issue when doing real work, but I wanted to give everyone a heads up.

This may not be the only issue either, since it seems like the tests have steadily been taking longer each time. This part may be an issue with gnep, however.

- Jim