[MOAB-dev] cgm2moab as a script

Steve Jackson sjackson at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 17 12:20:01 CDT 2010

If MOAB is built with dagmc enabled and CGM support, one of the programs installed in bin/ is cgm2moab, a tool for converting CAD files to MOAB meshes.  Over time, almost all the the functionality of this program has migrated into MOAB's native CGM reader, so it's now possible to do essentially everything that cgm2moab does using an appropriate call to mbconvert.  (Not a terse or convenient call, though, because cgm2moab specifies a lot of lengthy arguments to ReadCGM.)  This has led the dagmc users to consider changing cgm2moab into a wrapper script that calls mbconvert, instead of a C++ program.

I'm wondering what our primary maintainers think about this idea.  Can Tim and/or Jason comment on the following possibilities?

* Convert cgm2moab to a python script.  (Readability win, requires python, and possibly requires autoconf things to portably detect python.)
* Convert cgm2moab to a plain bash script.  (Messier code, but probably more portable.)
* No thanks, leave it as C++.

Thanks.
~S