[MOAB-dev] Canonical geometric entity measure

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 26 09:58:56 CDT 2010

On 07/26/2010 06:20 AM, Roman Putanowicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all thanks to Jason and Iulian for their answer about edge swap.
>
> I have just another similar question before I sit down and implement
> it myself:-) --  is there somewhere in MOAB (or its tools) a function that
> calculates generic geometric measure for entities?
> I mean a function, that given an entity handle would return:
>    0 for entities of dimension 0
>    entity length for entities of dimension 1
>    entity area  for entities of dimension 2
>    entity volume for entities of dimesion 3

No.

There is some code in src/tools/measure.cpp that you could copy, however
that implementation is at best an approximation.

For anything except a linear edge or triangle the correct answer depends on
the shape function is used for the element type.  As not all applications
use the same element shape functions it is impossible to have a single,
correct, implementation.  MOAB include a library of shape functions but that
hasn't happened yet.