[MOAB-dev] Reader/Writer filename extension access

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 30 13:52:42 CDT 2010

Steve Jackson wrote:

> It would be *cosmetically* better to know the file reader ahead of time
> because DagMC passes some CGM-specific options to load_file().  If the
> CGM reader is not the one that's used to load the input, then these
> options cause load_file() to return the MB_UNHANDLED_OPTION error code.
> This means load_file() returns an error whenever a mesh file is
> specified.  I'd rather this error only appeared under strange/unexpected
> circumstances, instead of all the time.

This sounds more like an issue with the way we do options.  Knowing which
reader MOAB will use seems like just as much of a hack.  Perhaps we should
have some syntax for specifying which file format an option is intended for,
such that it is not an error if the file is some other format.  Or perhaps
the whole MB_UNHANDLED_OPTION thing was a bad idea.  I can't recall why we
decided to add that.