[MOAB-dev] Reader/Writer filename extension access

Robert Smith smithrm at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 30 09:17:55 CDT 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 9:05 AM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:01:09 -0500, Robert Smith
> <smithrm at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>> What do you mean by "not part of the MOAB API"?  We can't dictate the
>> structure of the Readers/Writers?
>
> I think Jason's point was that it's unacceptable for client code to
> have
> a dependency on the implementations.

Do you mean the code that uses the Readers/Writers?  I would agree, it
should not depend on the implementation.  But does that mean no client
code can know which particular Reader/Writer it is using?  If that's
true then the entire purpose of the ticket seems moot.

If that's not what you mean then I don't see how my suggestions open
the implementation to the users.  They are just new member functions.

--Bob