[MOAB-dev] Getting ent set data when tag_size > 1

James Porter jvporter at wisc.edu
Sun Apr 18 14:21:26 CDT 2010

It sounds like there are two kinds of things we're talking about with
respect to tags: "real" data vs. metadata (which I'm intentionally
making a little bit vague right now). Since I don't write simulations,
I'm more concerned about metadata, which I think tags handle well,
though they might not be the ideal way of working with all metadata.

The kinds of metadata I deal with are things like global IDs and tags
generated from mesh manipulation (e.g. tags on copied/extruded
entities). The only place I currently have any use for multi-valued tags
would be with extrusion as I mentioned earlier. A storage order isn't
essential to me, but I can see places where it would be useful.

I'm going to avoid discussing tags as storing "real" (simulation) data,
since I don't actually do anything with that.

- Jim