[MOAB-dev] Getting ent set data when tag_size > 1

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Apr 17 17:20:21 CDT 2010

Jed Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:27:36 -0500, James Porter <jvporter at wisc.edu> wrote:
>>> Agreed.  I'll put that on the list of extensions to write, and will propose it to itaps (nobody else really uses sets in
>>> any serious way, so that's probably why it hasn't come up there).
>> Attached is what I personally would like to see in terms of interface.
>>
>> Main points:
>> * No type-specific functions (uses void* everywhere)

I know already this one won't fly (I opposed it when first proposed, and lost).

>> * get/set functions that take in arrays of entity sets
>
> Agree
>
>> * get/set functions for arrays of entities/sets take a storage order
>
> Why is this necessary?  It seems to me that BLOCKED may as well be
> different tags.  Coordinates are special because they have additional
> meaning and legacy codes/file formats made a suboptimal choice about
> storage.  I'd rather not see this complicate the interface and
> presumably there aren't legacy codes using tags with BLOCKED storage
> (since it's not currently available) and it doesn't make sense to write
> a new code with BLOCKED (ITAPS won't perform well on classic vector
> machines anyway).

I doubt many apps use multi-valued, typed, tags, and those few that do aren't overly burdened by having just interleaved
versions.

> Jed
>
> (I've mentioned it before, but iMesh_getDfltStorage should really return
> iBase_INTERLEAVED because this is actually MOAB's native format and it
> seems silly to advise users to use a suboptimal representation.)

Actually, it's blocked; see VertexSequence constructor.

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.