[MOAB-dev] Adding tool to trunk/tools okay?

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 5 17:27:57 CDT 2010

I'm fine with moving mbparread somewhere out of tools/.
The main motivation for introducing another "tool" (more like a test)
was to simplify the code
as much as possible (relative to mbconvert and mbparallelcomm_test) to
try to isolate the
cause of the problems I encounter when benchmarking parallel mesh
reads (more on that in a separate
forthcoming email).

Writing a tool like that as a stand-alone app appears complicated at the moment.
In particular, when I stripped off parts of mbparallelcomm_test to
simplify it a bit,
I found out that the resulting code has to be built within the MOAB source tree,
since it requires access to the internals, which is controlled by
various #defines, etc.

I'm definitely open to suggestions on where this piece of code should end up.
At the moment I needed to write something quickly to chase down some
of the problems I keep running into.

Dmitry.