[MOAB-dev] Bug Report: Read/Write h5m file with multiple tags.

Stuart Slattery sslattery at wisc.edu
Wed Mar 24 14:27:37 CDT 2010

Hello

I am using PyTaps read and write hexahedral meshes in h5m format. I have
found that if entities in the mesh have large numbers of tags then there
is a seg fault when reading the h5m file using either the PyTaps
iMesh.Mesh.load function, or passing it through mbconvert.

Attached you will find 2 python scripts that use PyTaps showing the
problem. The first script, tagcreate.py, creates a single vertex entity,
tags it with any number of tags specified, and writes it to an h5m file.
The second script, readtst.py, reads in this h5m file and prints out the
tags on the vertex. Using these two scripts, I have found that the magic
number is 40 for the number of tags required to create a seg fault. 39
tags or less does not cause this error in either PyTaps or mbconvert.

Thanks

Stuart Slattery