[MOAB-dev] error loading exodus files

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 23 20:38:15 CDT 2010

On 03/23/2010 06:05 PM, Rajeev Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm unable to load/mbsize any .exo file (attached) with the current
> built, it gives on
> error: "NetCDF: Variable not found"
> I'm using NetCDF version 4.0.1 build by Bob in the sharp repos.
> Is there some thing that needs to be defined or missing?

The exodus file may be invalid, but the more likely cause is that exodus
files use a non-standard variant of netcdf.  It is necessary to modify
some limits in the netcdf library to support files with a large number
of blocks, sidesets, or nodesets (more than about 500 total.)  See, for
example, the end of this page:
http://cubit.sandia.gov/help-version11.1/finite_element_model/export/exporting_exodus2_file.htm

I just wasted quite a bit of time myself today diagnosing such an issue.
  I think I will add some logic the exodus reader/writer code to check
for this case and print a more informative error.  Perhaps we should add
a configure check that prints a warning also.

In the long term, perhaps we should consider re-implementing the exodus
reader and writer using the NetCDF C API rather than the C++ one.  A
stock build of ncdump seems to be able to process such files w/out any
problems.  This leads me to suspect that these limits only affect the
C++ API in newer versions of NetCDF.  But some further analysis of the
NetCDF code is probably warranted to verify that before re-implementing
anything.