[MOAB-dev] ray_intersect_sets function

Brandon Smith bsmith82 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 22:56:53 CDT 2010

Hi Hung-Jun,

Here is what I did:

1) In Cubit, I created a sphere or radius 10 centered at the origin and exported as *.sat (attached). It is a volume with one surface. I checked this using mbsize:

$ mbsize -g sphere.sat
File sphere.sat:
Read 1 ACIS Entities from the input file

ERROR: Attribute type -1 not recognized.

Constructed 1 Volume: 1
   type  count   total           minimum           average               rms           maximum          std.dev.
------- ------ ------- ----------------- ----------------- ----------------- ----------------- -----------------
    Tri  69168 1.3e+03        0.00067391          0.018166          0.020102          0.028321         0.0086069
1D Side 207504 4.7e+04         0.0056637           0.22681           0.23829           0.33655          0.073068
 Vertex  34586

Surface 1:
   type  count   total           minimum           average               rms           maximum          std.dev.
------- ------ ------- ----------------- ----------------- ----------------- ----------------- -----------------
    Tri  69168 1.3e+03        0.00067391          0.018166          0.020102          0.028321         0.0086069
1D Side 207504 4.7e+04         0.0056637           0.22681           0.23829           0.33655          0.073068
 Vertex  34586

Volume 1:
NO MESH

2) Use gdb to run ray_fire_test in /tools/dagmc. I use a debugger so that I can set variable values and check the results of MBOrientedBoxTreeTool::ray_intersect_sets. Fire a ray in the +x direction from (-20,0,0) against volume 1. This takes a long time to run because the default faceting tolerance is unexpectedly small (10^-4).

$ gdb ray_fire_test
(gdb) run -f -20 0 0 1 0 0 -i 1 sphere.sat

Firing user-specified rays at volume 1
 Ray: point = [-20 0 0] dir = [1 0 0]
       hits surf_id 1 dist=10.0001 new_xyz=[-9.99993 0 0]
 done.

Things are looking good. With the default values of this test, the entrance intersection into the sphere was found at (-10,0,0).

3) Now try to find both intersections. Set a breakpoint before the ray_intersect_sets call and change the tolerance to a value larger than the farthest possible intersection in your geometry.

(gdb) run
(gdb) break MBOrientedBoxTreeTool::ray_intersect_sets
Breakpoint 2 at 0x45027a: file ../../../../trunk/src/MBOrientedBoxTreeTool.cpp, line 1030.
(gdb) continue
Breakpoint 2, MBOrientedBoxTreeTool::ray_intersect_sets (this=0x12c8210, distances_out=@0x12c84f0,
    sets_out=@0x12c84c0, facets_out=@0x12c84d8, root_set=12682136550675316740, tolerance=0.001,
    min_tolerace_intersections=1000, ray_point=0x7fff5d269e90, unit_ray_dir=0x7fff5d269e70,
    ray_length=0x7fff5d269e68, accum=0x0) at ../../../../trunk/src/MBOrientedBoxTreeTool.cpp:1030
1030                           min_tolerace_intersections, distances_out, sets_out, facets_out );
(gdb) set tolerance = 100
(gdb) next
1031      return preorder_traverse( root_set, op, accum );
(gdb) next
1032    }
(gdb) print distances_out.size()
$4 = 2
(gdb) print distances_out[0]
$5 = (const double &) @0x7680f80: 29.999929428100586
(gdb) print distances_out[1]
$6 = (const double &) @0x7680f88: 10.000070571899414
(gdb) print sets_out[0]
$7 = (const long unsigned int &) @0x73bfca0: 12682136550675316737
(gdb) print sets_out[1]
$8 = (const long unsigned int &) @0x73bfca8: 12682136550675316737

Because I changed the tolerance, both intersections were found (at 10 and 30). They are both from the only surface set.

Any leaf node that intersects the ray will have its triangles tested if the length of the ray is not limited. Sometimes it is limited as an optimization for particle tracking.

Brandon