[MOAB-dev] another autotools question

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 19 10:16:57 CST 2010

I wouldn't recommend installing a separate version of ubuntu, that can grow into a can of worms.

In the past, I've built separate versions of packages I've needed, and installed them somewhere that's in my path in
front of the system directories.  Maybe that's in your /sandbox, but then you'll have to make sure they don't get purged.

I've used that approach e.g. to build gcc4.3, when it wasn't part of ubuntu 8.04.

- tim

iulian at mcs.anl.gov wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a question for the Linux gurus here.
> At Argonne, we can't install anything on /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, etc, as everything is on the network. We do not have admin privileges; which is good and bad.
> We are also stuck with ubuntu 8.04.
> We do have complete access on our /homes/<user> folder, and on our /sandbox, which is the local hard drive on each machine.
>
> I was trying to build/install k3d on my machine, but I do need version 2.6 of cmake; we have 2.4.7 on the network.
>
> Now the question: can I have on my machine a different ubuntu installation (let's say 9.04 or even 9.10), "insulated" from the network? On which I have more control on what I install, version of each program, etc.
>
> Or should I build a local version of cmake, use some configure options like prefix, bindir or ??? such as everything should be installed on my machine, or at least on my /homes/iulian/ folder that no one else cares about?
>
> What would be the best way?
>
> Thanks,
> Iulian

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.