[MOAB-dev] moab file format and solution in time

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 19 09:11:36 CST 2009

One other question - does anybody know how various file formats handle adapting mesh?  I know some formats use masking
or element death markers, while others just write a whole new series of files when the mesh changes.  Does anybody try
to write deltas to an initial or final mesh topology?

- tim

Jed Brown wrote:
> Lukasz Kaczmarczyk wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I solving time dependent problems, each time when I store data I save
>> mesh coordinates and connectivity. Very often for each time step I
>> have the same mesh with different tags data.
>
> My solution to this (somewhat in flux, I still haven't finished the
> VisIt plugin) is that I don't put transient data (like model state) in
> tags and don't necessarily use the coordinates that MOAB stores for
> nodes.  Thus I'm using the mesh to handle topology and relations, but
> not really geometry and definitely not field values.  I write my own
> HDF5 file with the name of relevant tags and external links to iMesh
> output.  If tag metadata changes frequently, I'll create a new tag each
> time.  When appropriate, this metadata can be flushed, but the write
> interval is decoupled from my time-steps and need to write model state.
> If mesh topology is changing over time, it should be possible to
> compress these changes, but I think it would be a colossal waste of time
> in almost all applications because the mesh doesn't change every time
> step and the mesh rarely requires more storage than a few steps of model
> state.
>
> Jed

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.