[MOAB-dev] STL reader

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 28 11:43:11 CDT 2009

hongjun at mcs.anl.gov wrote:
> Dear Jason
>
> I am trying to read a big assembly STL model for ILC cavity cut-cell meshing.
> It seems current STL reader can not read multiple solid assembly model.
> If it is right, can I modify ASCI STL reader(ReadSTL.cpp) to deal with it?
> I will check the stl test file(stl_test.cc) after the modification.
> Thanks.

All documentation I've seen for the STL file format states that the file can
contain only one 'solid' block.  While one could perhaps concatenate several
such files and recognize it upon reading the file by having multiple "solid"
blocks, that will only work for the ASCII format.  The binary format does
not use the 'solid' keyword and therefor can never contain multiple solids.

That said, it shouldn't hurt anything to read multiple 'solid' blocks if
present, so I have no objection to you modify the reader.