[MOAB-dev] Error compiling mhdf file...

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed May 6 15:07:51 CDT 2009

Tim Tautges wrote:
> This is an existing build that I just updated from the repo; did an
> autoreconf in the src directory, just in case, and a make clean /
> configure.  HDF5 v1.8.1.  Ideas?

You have to define H5_USE_16_API because several functions changed
between HDF5 1.6 and 1.8.  In particular, adding

  CFLAGS=-DH5_USE_16_API CXXFLAGS=-DH5_USE_16_API

to your configure options should fix this.  The way HDF5 dealt with the
name change while allowing applications to transition smoothly is to
turn these functions into macros that point at one of two
implementations.  In this case H5Tarray_create1 and H5Tarray_create2.
When the macro above is set, or you have configured HDF5 to use the
legacy API, H5Tarray_create1 will be used, otherwise H5Tarray_create2.
Whenever you decide that everyone ought to have HDF5-1.8 by now, you can
change the call to conform to the new API.

Jed