[MOAB-dev] parallel moab example

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 17 09:57:54 CDT 2008

de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
> Tim/Jason,
>
> A few questions:
>
> Is mbzoltan in /tools a typical example of moab usage in parallel? I see
> that the mesh partition can only run in one processor? (line 204
> MBZoltan.cpp).

No, that's only because Zoltan only works in parallel, and right now as
written mbzoltan is a serial partitioner.

> Is the mpi c bindings used throughout moab parallel? (as opposed to c++
> bindings).

Yes, and I'd like to keep it that way.

> Does MBParallel do a mesh partition on its own? Or does it depend on
> either zoltan/chaco?

If you're referring to MBParallelComm, no, it just uses some
decomposition of the mesh (indicated using entity sets).  That can be a
material definition, geometric topology, or a partition written by mbzoltan.

> Is there an example where moab is used to read a mesh, partition, and
> send the partitioned data to processors (maybe with each processor
> writing its own data to file?)

Yes, that's mbzoltan, as long as you run it on one processor.  There's
no equivalent currently for doing this in parallel.

- tim

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Valmor

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.