[MOAB-dev] "Obj_unknown" when building mbzoltan

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 29 09:40:11 CDT 2008

As long as zoltan continues to a) not have a 'make install' target and b)
puts the libraries in the source tree under a directory without a fixed name
(e.g. 'Obj_Linux64'), we will most likely continue to expect the user
specifies the zoltan arch (e.g. the 'Linux64') so we know where to look for
the libraries.

I don't see a practical way of avoiding the user having to specify multiple
values for zoltan (we could change which values are specified to be an
include path and a library path rather than a directory and and arch).
While it would be nice if all users manually installed zoltan in the
standard locations such as you describe below, MOAB can neither rely on nor
mandate such behavior.   (Things would be a lot simpler if Zoltan put its
libraries in a directory called 'lib' rather than 'Obj_$ARCH').

I think that the zoltan detection in MOAB should work as follows:
  a) allow user to specify zoltan dir and zoltan arch
  b) always check for zoltan
      - in location from a) if available
      - in default search path otherwise

I think this would solve the problem for you because you wouldn't need to
specify any option at all.  Further, it would allow the specification of
non-standard search paths by doing:
  ./configure LDFLAGS="-L$ZOLTAN_LIB_DIR" CPPFLAGS="-I$ZOLTAN_INC_DIR"

We could possibly drop the user-specified zoltan ARCH by searching
${ZOLTAN_DIR}/Obj_* until we find a libzoltan that we can use, but the fact
that Zoltan allows for multiple Obj_${ARCH} dirs implies that there will
often be more than one.  There's no reason to assume that only one will be
usable (e.g. user has profiled build, debug build, etc. for the same
architecture).  As we have no way to decide which is the correct one, it is
probably best not to guess.

- jason

--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Ralph Waldo Emerson