[MOAB-dev] nonconforming meshes and high order elements, iMeshP

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Aug 13 15:15:49 CDT 2008

On Wed 2008-08-13 14:51, Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> > If I save my mesh in .h5m format, all my metadata is there, but I'm not
> > aware of software to visualize this directly.
>
> There is ongoing work to allow VisIt
> (https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/FAQ.html) to interact directly with an
> iMesh implementation.  This combination will allow visualization of any file
> MAOB (or any other iMesh implementation) can read.

I trying VisIt a while back and preferred the Paraview interface, but
I'll give it another look.

> >  I might be
> > able to write an XDMF header generator, especially if it would be useful
> > to others.
> >

> Support for more file formats is always useful.  If you wish to implement
> such a tool as either a part of MOAB's .h5m writing code or as a stand-alone
> tool, we'd be happy to include it with the MOAB source.

I'll look into it.

> > I noticed that iMesh_getVtxCoordIndex() ignores its 5th argument (entity
> > adjacency type).
> >

> It is ignored if a value other than ALL_TOPOLOGIES is passed for the 4th
> argument, as topology is a subset of type.

I understand the 3rd argument (requested_entity_type) is ignored if the
4th (requested_entity_topology) is more specific.  However, the 5th
(entity_adjacency_type) is never referenced (see iMesh_MOAB.cpp:536).

> > I think iMesh_getAdjTable() is not correct.  The table
> >   1 1 1 1
> >   1 0 0 0
> >   1 0 0 0
> >   1 0 0 1
> > indicates that vertex-any, any-vertex, and region-region adjacencies are
> > available in O(1), but all others are unavailable.  Certainly this is
> > not consistent with the results of iMesh_getAdjEntities().
> >

> I agree that this appears to be incorrect.  Would you like to submit a
> defect report (http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/ITAPS/wiki/MOAB) or would
> you prefer that I do so?

http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/ITAPS/ticket/22

Jed