[MOAB-dev] nonconforming meshes and high order elements, iMeshP

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Aug 13 14:15:51 CDT 2008

I'm fairly early in the development of an hp-element code and have some
questions about MOAB (and other ITAPS components).

In some of my computations, the mesh is nonconforming, hence I am
working with a full representation (regions, faces, edges, and vertices,
with the interior of each corresponding to degrees of freedom in the
global system), but I now have to store the adjacencies manually.  Is
there anything I should take into consideration now to make load
balancing and adaptivity easier when I get to them?  Will any of the
other ITAPS components function on a nonconforming mesh?

Is there a recommended way to store higher order parametric mappings?  I
realize that other ITAPS components (i.e. surface tracking) may not have
this sort of functionality, but I'd like to make it as painless as
possible.

I've browsed iMeshP.h and it seems that we need a way to get an
iMeshP_PartitionHandle?  What is the timeline for this component being
usable?  Is there a usage example anywhere?

If I save my mesh in .h5m format, all my metadata is there, but I'm not
aware of software to visualize this directly.  If I save in exodusII, I
lose all metadata.  So it seems the only option is .vtk which is slower
and annihilates everything but Int and Double data.  Perhaps the best
way to handle this is to write a XDMF generator for the h5m format.  XML
is ugly, but this would allow Paraview, among others, to read the h5m
file.  Is h5m a stable format and is there a formal spec?  I might be
able to write an XDMF header generator, especially if it would be useful
to others.

I noticed that iMesh_getVtxCoordIndex() ignores its 5th argument (entity
adjacency type).

I think iMesh_getAdjTable() is not correct.  The table
  1 1 1 1
  1 0 0 0
  1 0 0 0
  1 0 0 1
indicates that vertex-any, any-vertex, and region-region adjacencies are
available in O(1), but all others are unavailable.  Certainly this is
not consistent with the results of iMesh_getAdjEntities().

Thanks,

Jed